Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Memories of the Fair

Ever since my family lived in California, participated in 4-H, and competed in livestock competitions, I have LOVED going to the fair!!
Eleven year old LoLo with her 2nd place ribbon! I was very proud of that ribbon! 
{I won it showing my chickens!}
On Sunday, Lil' Chef and I were able to go to the county fair near us! My mom was doing a wool spinning demonstration and so we were able to get in with her :) The fairgrounds were kind of disappointing, but we still had a great time!
It was Lil' Chef's first time at a fair! We had a blast!

Of course the first thing we went to see were the animals! I always wanted to show cows... but mom said no :( It was due to the fact that we didn't have enough land to house a cow, but that didn't lessen my desire to show a cute Jersey heifer! (these are Herfords btw... they are a meat breed, not dairy ;) )

These long lines of stalls make me so happy! When we would show our livestock at the fairs in CA, we would get 2-3 of these stalls and have the animals in 1-2 and we always had an open one for all of our animal equipment.... Man, those are some GREAT memories! We would hangout here for most of the day and we had coolers in our open stall and sometimes we brought in a cot to take naps on... it was the life :)

Fair Food!!!! Nothing gets better than good 'ole fair food! It was my first time ever getting a turkey leg! It was really good and HUGE! I had also gotten roasted corn before the turkey leg, and then, after my main meal, I got a favorite of mine... Carmel Apple!! And this one was particularly yummy :) 

And of course Lil' Chef and I could not fully experience the whole fair without cotton candy! I ate way too much of that stuff... 

This scene right here brings back feelings of stress, excitement, nerves, happiness, and paranoia that my animal would not behave inside the ring! In the two years that I participated in 4-H, I showed goats, pigs, and chickens (which were my babies! I loved my chickens!!).....

Yes, that is me... on the far right... NOT looking at our instructor. Like I said, I was always concerned my animal was not going to behave! 

Me and my trusty goat, Paige! This was during a show at the Santa Cruz county fair in 2001.... 

And I placed!! I don't remember exactly what this ribbon was for, but I was proud of it none the less! 

Fairs in California are so different than the fairs in Georgia, but to me the excitement and the thrill of the fairgrounds will always be there! I am so thankful for the two years of livestock competitions I was able to do! Great memories and lessons learned...Memories that will forever be cherished and relived every time I step foot on the fairgrounds!

Until next time, 
LoLo


1 comment: