Sunday, August 23, 2015

A Week of Firsts

This quote could not be a more perfect quote to sum up this week! I have felt the feeling of when a career and a passion come together this week.


Monday was a rough day and I could feel that satin was again grabbing hold of my job situation and using it to have me question God's will for me. It has never been am I pursuing the right job? It was always is this the right timing to be pursuing this job?  
There was yet another block and I was waiting to hear that the center had heard my social went through. We only had an hour before the director was leaving for the day so Tuesday being my start date did not look promising. To be honest, I did not think it was going to happen. I went on a walk to just pray and ask the Lord why, I had to clear my head and be honest and say that I was frustrated and just discouraged! While I was in the dollar store just walking around to cool off from being outside I got a call from the center saying I was cleared and I could start Tuesday! I had to leave the store because tears of joy started running down my face and I could not wait to let everyone know that had been praying so hard with me! I called Lolo, my dad, my mom, and my sister to tell them the great news! I was so overjoyed and excited to finally start this new chapter! When I got home this box was sitting on my steps and I knew who it was from immediately....it was from Lolo! She had perfect timing and everything in the box was so thoughtful! What a perfect way to celebrate with some cloths, CDs, pictures and a travel mug she made (this was my favorite)! I cant wait to use it in the winter, and I am sure I will get lots of questions and comments about it. I LOVE IT!   



What first day at work would be complete without a selfie! 


With working at this center I have quite a commute. The distance is really not that bad it is more so the traffic. It should only take me about 20 min to get to work but with traffic it takes me about 45min-an hour. It is up a major highway and it is the one that goes into Washington DC so rush hour both ways is pretty intense. I have not really minded it as much as I thought I was going to and once I get there I am always happy that I do it. I also walk around after work to try and miss most of the heavy traffic and it has worked great so far.  


There is a Starbucks that is right across the street and because I was early my first day I went and grabbed some iced green tea. I am sorry for all you Starbucks readers out there, but I do have to admit that I do prefer Dunkin' over Starbucks. I guess my Mom has thought me well :)  


This was the lunch that I packed the night before so it was all ready to grab and go! This is something so little, but I have really enjoyed packing my lunches. I have worked in the food industry since I was in high school and have always just eaten whatever food I make there. When I worked for Chick-fil-A, I would have CFA everyday. So being able to pack something different and homemade has been so nice.


Here is the entrance to where I work. I was very nervous the first day because I have never worked on a level like this with kids I was not sure what to expect at all. I have been babysitting since I was like 13 and love kids, but I had never been to a school setting with kids this age.  


It all felt real when I got my t-shirt on my third day!


I thought the t-shirt was a big deal but as I was walking down the hallway I saw this on the teachers wall! I am so very excited to be apart of this team that wants to create an environment that kids and parents feel safe. I have already learned so much in my first week and I cant wait for more to come! As of right now I believe I will be in the infant room as an assistant teacher, but I have not heard that directly yet.  


So what do I do at this job? Well this week I have been in a infant room with the lead teacher and 8 babies. The ratio of teachers to kids varies from state to state but for Virginia it is 1 to 4 for infants. In my classroom our youngest is 4 months and our oldest is 10 months. This is not just any daycare, it is really a place where the children learn starting at infants. We have a curriculum that we have to include math, science, language and art. We as teachers have lesson plans to make, daily sheets to fill out for each child, once a week we have to put up a picture and a milestone for each child, and lastly a newsletter for every month. These tasks are split between both teachers and I cant wait to start learning how to create all of it. I know it will take me longer to do it all at the beginning because I don't have a "teacher mindset" yet, but over time I am sure it will develop. The sadist part of my job is that for legal  reasons we can't take pictures of the kids :( but stories will be told so have no worries :) I will leave the imagining of how cute they are up to you! 

As I was getting ready to go on a nice walk yesterday I sat on my porch to put my shoes on and looked further up in the grass and there was a SNAKE. I really don't mind snakes I just don't like when I don't know that they are there. I was not sure what kind this one was, but Mom told me it was a gardener snake and all was good :)


On my walk I found a new road that I went down and there were a ton of acorns on the walkway so I wont be running that one, but it made a nice walking trail. I also stopped into the library to return my Ramona CDs and I ended up picking up another one! I have really enjoyed having something like that playing in the car and I have also loved turning on the country stations and just singing :) The trip does not seem as long when I am enjoying my car time!


To finish off my great week I went on a nice walk in this beautiful weather and just read a book! I don't think I like to read until I start and then that is all I want to do...when the weather is this nice it is the perfect thing to do outside. I try to get all my sunshine in on weekends now because I work indoors all week. I take my vitamin D intake seriously :)    


I have truly missed the babies this weekend and can't wait to get back to work and in my weekly routine. Have a wonderful week ahead and remember that a little bit of chocolate can make your day so much   better :)


With a pinch of love,
Lil'Chef

No comments:

Post a Comment